Friday, May 11, 2012

THE GOOD BLACK MEN OF TODAY

By TUMI MOKHOANTLE As a young black woman I live within a disenfranchised and stereotyping society which has painted the average black as "ARROGANT." And I hereby confess that I believed this concept, especially as a feminist I would go as far as referring men as foolish. According to statistics the average black man is either in jail, sires and then abandons his family, gets drunk on the street corner, rapes old ladies and violates. "Black men are absolutely foolish!" As this rolled off my tongue, something forcefully reminded: My mentor is a black man My brother is a black man My uncle is a black man My president is a black man My God is *The* Man In other words am I saying that they, too are foolish and arrogant? Actually these men, have built civilizations and made remarkable discoveries which continue to influence the world as we know it today. They are well educated, socially astute, dedicated to their communities and lead by telling the truth and taking responsibilities for their actions. I was humiliated by the statement I made. I have watched black men all my life and as a black woman I thought I had the right to say so. While I have watched them I've also admired them, cared about them and most respected them, therefore why would I admire a foolish person? And why do I sound like the racially charged media? Why do women spend so much time trying to impress and allure people refer as arrogant? Let me tell you what I know about men. In the beginning men were created in love. Anyone who takes time to make a close examination will discover that men are hard-working, good to their wives and they are family-conscious. They are individuals who are striving to reach a goal and realize a dream. We forget about the police officer, accountant, plumber, businessman and postman. The impact of always thinking wrongly of you has depleted your desire and ability to live consciously according to your true nature. Man! We (women) stand in reverence of you. You are not dogs, dangerous, or disgraceful. We need you to continue protecting us as well as taking charge...

No comments: