Thursday, May 10, 2012

GEORGE RAMPAI STUNS LITERARY WORLD

By TEBOHO MASAKALA The literary world is abuzz again with excitement following the publication of a new novel titled From where I stand by George Rampai a Ladybrand born novelist. Rampai is the first black novelist to emerge from Ladybrand in the Eastern Free State, noted for some critical essays over the years, Rampai has now released his first novel from Where I stand. “I am very proud of Ladybrand my home town, I was born there and lived all my life there, I know it inside out, I am so happy my novel is based on vibrant Ladybrand” Rampai Told Mangaung Issue, Rampai said that he has loved African literature from a young age and learnt the value of libraries and read many books penned down by African writers like Kalu Okpi, Chinua Achebe and late South African writer Eskia Mphahlele. George considers Omoseye Bolaji’s People of the townships novel as one of his favourites as Bolaji writes with zest, authenticity and humour. Reading books written by Free State Authors such as Flaxman Qopane, Pule Lechesa and Omoseye made Rampai resolve to publish his debut novel. With his powerful novel from where I stand, Rampai himself is now the toast of the literary world. Pule Lechesa, a respected celebrated literary critic described the new novel as "ravishing and majestic". * First published in Mangaung Issue, May 9 2012 edition

No comments: