Monday, March 5, 2012

SAINT GEORGE VIS ON FS WRITING!


Interview by Nthabiseng Lisele

Saint George Vis is one of the significant black writers based in the Free State. His books include First things First, The massive vicarious pleasure, among others. Vis is very passionate about the world of literature and writing.

How do you describe the growth of FS Black Literature over the years?

Well, describing the growth of FS Black Literature one cannot rely solely on the quantity but the quality of books published over the years and indeed, we have seen expansion, such as critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, communication from the FS Black authors which is exceptional. Briefly, just to scratch the ground let’s take for example, first, Nthabiseng JahRose Jafta with her sizzling poetry book in 2010, then Hector Kunene whom I fervently believe that he mastered the art of patience because when I read his poems he didn’t let his enthusiasm for his book and his excitement over actually finishing it drive the train – patience, self-control and discipline were his friends and finally Mpikeleni Duma one of the best writing I have seen in a long time especially from women’s perspective.

The growth of FS Black Literature had an impact on me personally over the years in a sense that my viewpoint has increased by being exposed to different cultures and lifestyles. I have learned to be sensitive to the problems of others which increase my self-awareness and worldview. I have also learned to appreciate other cultures and
ideologies that are illustrated in these captivating books penned by our own FS Black Authors. It’s like you gain a deeper understanding of the human condition and learn from the experience of others without having to actually live through the experiences yourself. But, I must be honest though, I would really like to see authors particularly in the FS writing in their indigenous languages and bring to the fore the richness and variety of traditions and culture, language and heritage especially authors writing in Setswana. The great author such as Bishop Gilbert Ngwaneso Moshoeshoe Modise had in fact strengthened pride in Identity and Culture by writing some of the luminous novels in Setswana.

Which books have impressed you most?

What a fascinating question. There are a handful of books I have read multiple times and plan to keep on reading because each time I see something more or different (Gilbert Modise is a perfect example). However, there are couple of FS writers who inspire my life and inform my work on various levels through their work. In many cases these writers tackle topics or write in genres far removed from my own. Quite a number have “mad skills” I could never hope to equal. Going back to the roots of historical fiction in the Free State, I deeply admire the work of the genre’s two prominent writers the late Bishop Gilbert Ngwaneso Moshoeshoe Modise and Chief Omoseye “Malome” Bolaji. Both clearly understood that story comes first in all fiction, including historical. They also wrote adventure stories and I love an adventure.

Do you think more ladies are coming to the party (writing)? Why
might they be reluctant to write?


Good question. Yep! I think over the years we have seen ladies such Nthabiseng JahRose Jafta, and recently NMM Duman who are putting their mark in the world of literature. But, I also had this question in my mind few years back and really it bothered me that our sisters don’t write and then I decided to ask one of the great scribes the Free State has ever seen, Mosidi Mohlakela and this is was she said “I think we lie to ourselves about why we can't write the book. We think our stalling is about lack of time, or too much pressure at work, or not enough solitude in the evening. But, guess what Chances are a deeper, darker reason may be at play, like I'm not supposed to be bigger than Mom' or what if this thing really takes off? We fear the impact our book could have”. I think one of the reasons why women might be reluctant to write could be the fear of the unknown.

Have you heard of the writer NMM Duman? Is she as great as they say she is?

Yes, I have. When I read her awe-inspiring article in Sowetan I thought to myself her book is all realistic, and perfectly plausible. One thing I learned and analysed about her (as a writer) is that when she writes, she put’s herself into the position of the characters and that is one of the rare and most powerful skill among our many writers.

What will your next book be about?

I am presently working on the second edition of my book titled: Victory through Christ and also I am working with other authors who are due to publish their works later this year.

No comments: