Tuesday, March 20, 2012

MY PEN IS A 'SOCIALITE' (2012) By Sheila Khala


By Dineo Mokgosi

Born in the beautiful mountainous kingdom of Lesotho, 22-year-old Sheila Khala is an adept poet and motivational speaker. She is a buoyant young woman already fulfilling her awesome potential. She has now launched her second book titled: My pen is a ‘socialite’

Khala launched her second book at a glittering function held at the swanky Cappelo in Bloemfontein. In attendance were local poets such as the likes of Hector Kunene, Dr Cool among others. The revelers were serenaded by the sweet melodies of Audrey Mifi, a 23-year-old songstress from Bloemfontein.

Her first book, Formula: “Leading Life to Perfection” was published at the tender age of 19, written as a sort of therapy for her after the death of her father. Her second book means so much more to her as she dedicates it to her late father.

Her proficient abilities have made her one of the youngest poets to perform at the Southern African Development Countries (SADC) Poetry Festival that takes places annually across the SADC region.

She has performed with the likes of Napo Masheane, Kgafela wa Legogodi, Lesego Rampolokeng and Tania Tome from Mozambique. She is a dynamic and prolific poet in every sense of the word.

As regards her second book, Sheila says: “Daddy I dedicate this to you, I promise to make you proud. Your death has made me a very strong woman. I miss you but God took you for a reason,” This sentiment is also discernible in her new book.

“This second book, I call it a ‘seed of faith, a vocation of manifestation’ because I went through a lot of trials and tribulations to have this book published. I went through some personal things and at some point I thought this would never happen. I had to leave certain people and let go of certain things to fulfill my dream. My dream had to happen”

Her favourite poems in the new anthology include: “Hope, destiny and love”, which she explains as the different stages that a person goes through in life; and “My Muti” which she explains as the authority, the voice of a woman, standing firm in your decisions as a woman.

She rates Napo Masheane as her favourite female poet. “She voices what she feels. She loves herself. She has self-confidence. She stands in her own character. I believe in women who stand for what they like”

Khala said her book is “motivation building, creating, a renewal of a new you... A new you that is encouraged to dream big, to generate all those dreams that were once lost.”

No comments: