Monday, June 6, 2011

RAISING LITERARY STANDARDS


By Kgosietsile Dintlhoane

Black Literature in Free State Province

…Don’t hurry to get published, Kgosietsile Dintlhoane, warns


First of all I would like to mention that I have no particular author
in mind, I am writing these notes to share with my fellow writers some
of the things I think they should know before they can even think of
publishing their work. I have read a lot on African and international
literature, be it novels, poetry, plays, essays, literary criticism,
biographies, auto-biographies and any other genre which I may not have
mentioned here.

I have enjoyed especially poetry, essays, biographies and
auto-biographies of various authors both home and abroad. Early in my
writings I was lucky enough to have met with Ntate Flaxman Qoopane who
read my work, probably my earliest work at the time and advised me not
to hurry in publishing my work. I value the advice a lot even today as
I can see today that it could have been a great regret had I published
what I wrote then.

Dear friends, maybe I should talk a bit more on why I value the advice
I got from Ntate Qoopane. Well the story begins in my high school
years where we were fed Euro-American literature from when we first
entered high school and in my case until I completed standard nine. In
Standard 10 we read Bessie Head’s “Maru” and before this I believed
that writers in the English language were white as we never read a
colored author before let alone black. To stretch the story even
further, I would like to mention that at home my father being a
teacher never really bothered with the type of books we were reading. The only thing he was interested in was a report to check the results.

Another thing that I would like to pose as a question, a question I
began asking myself after reading Ngugi wa Thion’go was who decides
what is to be read in the English curriculum by black kids in township
schools? Is it the HOD or the principal or the inspector or a body
elected to deal with such matters? Again, whoever decides
basis his/her decision on what, on what grounds is he/she allowed to
prescribe books written by whites (it does not matter whether is
Foreign or South African whites) in township schools; whereas there was
never a situation where you would find even in white public schools
books written by blacks or coloreds for that matter.

I have always had conversations with both Ntate Qoopane and Ntate
Bolaji about the material produced by our black authors in our
province. To summarize here, ideally a good book must be physically attractive, the content must show sterling reading and writing patterns; real writers are readers and
are supposed to write regularly; and also – perhaps the most important - is to write about what you know. I have read most of the books written in our province since 1996 and cannot say I
was moved by more than ten percent of them.

One grievous mistake that people make when deciding to become authors
is the illusion that they will make money out of writing. Let me be
the first to tell you, that is just being naïve. Great authors died
paupers simply because no matter how good authors they were, people
don’t buy books in numbers let alone poorly written books. The only
time when you can make some money out of writing would be when your
book gets prescribed for schools and universities. I can say in confidence that only about less
than ten black authors in Free State currently stand a chance of that
happening to them.

I would like to nip my note down to the art of writing poetry, I am
not an expert and do not claim to be one, it is just that I have read
a lot in this genre and learned a thing or two. First let me express
my dissatisfaction with what slam poetry has caused. We have today
probably 80% of plastic poets in Free State Province calling
themselves poets because they sat down and wrote something about
themselves and called it poetry.

I ask myself all the time why do people in my province hurry to
publish, and came to a conclusion that it could have everything to do
with wanting fame or thinking that they will make money out of their
writings. It saddens me a great deal to hear people talk in the street
that Free State poets are “playing” as compared to KZN, Jozi or Western
Cape poets. I think we should focus as a province on creating a group
of professional editors or maybe just two professional editors to edit
our work before we consider putting it out there on the shelves. I can
understand what these spoken word sessions try to achieve and do not
disagree with the intention; just the content of what is blurted out to
the public.

I am a concerned aspiring Free State Poet and I challenge all aspiring
writers and poets of my province to rise above what some think of us
by other writers in other provinces and begin to realize how important
it is to take time to sharpen the skill as well as share with
professionals one’s draft manuscript for perusal and advice so that
by the time one considers to publish, the material is worth
publishing.

I hope my note will be read in a positive light, those with BIG egos
will probably want to criticize me, or label me arrogant, bastard or
whatever fancy name they will think of; well you are more than welcome
to and those with open minds I am available to help.

With all the love in my heart

* Mr. Kgosietsile Dintlhoane, a poet and literary essayist, formerly wrote a column titled “The Bibliophile” for Free State News.

7 comments:

Jerry said...

Dintlhoane writes a lot of sense but a lot of nonsense too. He seems to be trapped in some sort of time warp. Literature in every society varies from poor, average, good, to excellent or outstanding. We cannot expect all writers in the FS to be of the same standing. But to say other provinces don’t respect FS Black Writing is a lie, or shows great ignorance. We have seen reviews of Free State books in national and international publications. Recently the world looked on as an international scholar and researcher (Achal) came to FS out of admiration; and he admitted that he was well aware of the great developments in local writing in the province, and that’s why he came to do his special research here. To be honest, Dintlhoane sounds like a frustrated writer, or at best an ignorantly arrogant one

Raselebeli Khotseng said...

I think the problem here is that the writer wants to impose certain standards which just won’t work. Prescription of books for schools has nothing to do with literature. There are so many great writers out there whose books have never been prescribed in the many schools (like Zakes Mda). Where was Dintlhoane when a black Free State writer (NMM Duman) was acclaimed as one of the best creative female writers in the world?

raphaelmokoena said...

Could Mr Qoopane really have advised the writer here not to publish when he (Qoopane) has published so many books over the years? Dintlhoane speaks about “big egos” but his arrogant article shows that he is the one with the big ego. Who is he to give “marks” to writers anyway? Does he know more than the respected world writers who continue to praise the Free State for encouraging literacy and literature?

pule said...

A number of people have prodded me to comment on this article, and sort of take on the writer. But I'll just point out that I know Mr Dinthloane personally. We've sat down, discussed books and he has an awesome knowledge of African and world literature. In a situation like this, it is not unusual to somewhat undermine "local literature". As regards FS Black Writing, I'll just say that I'm pleased that some of our writers already feature on Wikipedia which highlights on a world level, inter alia, outstanding writers; there are many brilliant articles on our writing in national and international publications and on the internet; we have seen writers like Hector Kunene having their works featured in Guardian.UK the best of its kind in the world; many of our books are bought and studied in some of the best universities around the world. So there's nothing to be ashamed of!

Anonymous said...

As writers we are in different stages and that is how and why one can differenciate, i suppose Mr Dinthloane feels there is still a need to strengthen the pen in the Fs maybe ? but one should also point out that indeed we do have outstanding remarkable writers who have shined both locally & abroad.

Hector said...

Right at this moment, Free State is on the crest in terms of its publications, We have seen Mrs. Duman who has even gone an extra mile to re-produce a fine quality book called Deepest Springs published in overseas at Exlibris, this on its own proves that writers here do think abroad,nevertherless, I do not think that the books published here do not qualify to be in the standard of prescription for academic purposes, anything is possible,we have got to continue writting and that is how we will perfect our craft, if at all it can be perfect! Can we really wait for decades to master the art of writing,let the writing continue and let the critique do his or her job,no writer in his right mind wants to produce mediocre becaus he knows very well that his name is at stake let alone the place he brings forth his ink on paper...Hector Kunene

Jah-rose said...

we are word soldiers in life training and in quest 2 sculp our crafts into greater admirations, and we fully realise that because we are in shaping, alot will and has to unfold. To reach the peak we have to work in the shadows of learning and we shall continuasly step up. Where i am now is not the me i'll be tmrw for development is indeed moving progress